If you’re thinking of selling your home, now is a great time. Prices remain high throughout the Greater Vancouver area and now that the stagnant winter months are behind us, many people are out and about looking for a new home. Here are some easy tips to freshen up your home for these prospective buyers.
- Open your windows. This is the absolute easiest way to add freshness to your home. Letting in some fresh air will go a long way in carrying away odours and stale air. You should also be sure to clean your windows – you will be amazed how much of a difference it makes. Make your own DIY window spray by combining equal parts white vinegar and distilled water in a spray bottle.
- Dust. Another easy way to freshen up is by dusting. Removing that dirty film from furniture, ceiling fans, and door trim will really make your home shine. Try using a clean microfiber cloth with a drop or two of lemon essential oil. The essential oil will leave a pleasant, fresh citrus scent!
- Avoid strong odours. Nothing will turn off potential buyers faster than a smelly home! Avoid cooking foods such as onion, garlic, bacon or fish the day before a showing. They can linger in the air and make your home smell like a fast food restaurant, instead of the classy, top-dollar dwelling it is.
- Pleasant scents. Trade cooking those smelly foods for a bit of baking. Popping a batch of cookies in the oven before a showing will create a pleasant aroma that will emanate throughout your home and create a cozy, homey atmosphere for viewers.
- Add plants. Plants are a wonderful accessory for any home. They purify air naturally and add a lot of visual appeal. Boston ferns or peace lilies are good options.
- Paint. If your walls are free of chips and thumbtack holes, feel free to skip this step. But if your walls need a little pick-me-up, adding a fresh coat of paint will instantly revive any space. Just make sure to use a non-toxic paint that uses food-grade ingredients and is VOC-free.
- Fresh fruity fragrance. If you’re out of time and out of air freshening spray, you can make your own DIY version. Grab a bottle of vodka and soak citrus rinds in it overnight. In the morning, fill a spray bottle half with the vodka mixture and half with water, and spray it liberally around the house. You will be amazed how well this works!
A fresh and open atmosphere goes a long way in making your home more appealing to buyers. With these tips, your home will sell in no time.